Thursday, December 13, 2012

"Don't Just Do Something. Stand There!"

I have officially finished teaching both of my courses at Tumaini University in Iringa.  All that's left now is to grade their final examinations and to record those grades in the university computer system.  So, this leaves me considering and reflecting about, the past three months.  But before reflecting on the past three months, we must back up a couple years.

Throughout the course of the past two years, I have been trying to prepare myself, my family, and my congregation for this three-month time of sabbatical.

One way I tried to prepare and inform Fish Lake Lutheran, was to provide monthly “Sabbatical Updates” in our church newsletter, The Vine & Branches. 

In July of 2012, I wrote this in my monthly update:
 
“Two oft-quoted sayings continue to come to mind as plans for my sabbatical have taken shape.  The first, articulated in various ways and by various people, “You can’t feed others unless you feed yourself.”  And the second, credited to the famed Major League Baseball second baseman and later, team manager Gene Mauch, “You can’t lead anyone else further than you have gone yourself.”  Both of these quotes are the foundation of the rationale on which I have planned a three-month sabbatical scheduled for fall of 2012 where I will be a pastor and teacher at University College of Tumaini University in Iringa, Tanzania.” 
 
While I understand Gene Mauch’s quote and sentiment was intended for a baseball team, it clearly applies to me and the context in which I and my family are serving.  My wife and I are called to challenge others to step out in faith and to be bold in their convictions and to listen for God’s calling in their lives and to respond accordingly.  But how can we ask of others such obedience and faithfulness to God’s will, if we, are not challenged in the same way? 
 
This sabbatical is an opportunity for us to go to that place where we are calling others to go – a place of faith and trust and adventure – for the sake of Jesus Christ and His life-changing good news.  Russian novelist, Leo Tolstoy said, “Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself.”

To serve in this way will not only be a cross-cultural experience for my family and I, but also for my students.  We will learn from one another as we explore and make known the great mystery of the gospel in ways that will forever be remembered.  This cross-cultural teaching opportunity is my way of changing the world.  But in order to succeed at it, I understand I must also change myself.  I will need to step out in faith and be bold in my convictions while listening to God’s call in my life and respond accordingly.

Serving as a Pastor in the Iringa Diocese, at times, will provide opportunity to simply attend worship, preach the Word, witness faith and experience trust through the eyes of another congregation.  To experience such a seemingly ordinary thing will strengthen, renew, and inspire me as a person, a preacher, a teacher and leader. 
 
And still another important purpose of this time of renewal will be for my family and I to be fed spiritually.  As we immerse ourselves in this experience we will be renewed in our callings to serve, reassured in our awareness of the Holy Spirit, and restored in the weariness that comes from remaining devoted and faithful to such callings. I personally look forward to this because having been the recipient of, and tasted the love, grace and warmth of the African culture before – if even for a short time – surely an extended time with them in their culture of grace, will provide a life-changing experience for my whole family. “
 
As our three-month stay in Iringa comes to an end, I can confidently say that, professionally - as a pastor/teacher - it has met all of my hopes and expectations.  I have gained confidence in my teaching and reassurance in my preaching.  Having preached to people of an entirely different culture with many theological differences, I have been challenged in my choice of words and ideas while proclaiming to them a strong message of grace in the midst of their law-heavy religious culture and tradition.  This, I believe, after being here these three months, has been a message that God has given me and brought me here to proclaim.  I am certain that they have Noticed, Understood, and Remembered (3 goals of effective communication/preaching) this message through my observations and comments shared in various churches and in the classroom. 

As I teach and preach this liberating message of grace and love and forgiveness to a people who so seldom here it, especially explained in a way that they can connect to, I see burdens lifted and hearts softened.  This is good, and has only reinforced my "theological center" of "God loves you just the way you are - but he loves you too much to let you stay that way!"  This is classic law & gospel, and I will continue to proclaim both, with energy, passion and conviction as I return home.

I can also confidently say, that personally - as a husband and father, this time of sabbatical has been fruitful.  It has met my expectations of "providing a life-changing experience for my whole family" while "restoring us in our weariness", and for this, I am extremely grateful.  However, it has exceeded those minimal expectations.  I believe Carrie and I have grown closer as husband and wife - with more quality time spent together simply enjoying one another and our children, as we regularly give thanks for this blessing in our lives (sabbatical). 

I believe our family has been reminded of what's important and what's not, as we have learned to live with out some of our common luxuries (or certain standards of) and expectations that are "givens" at home.  (electricty, water, ice cream, candy bars!)  Without common distractions of home, I have watched my children find wholesome and traditional ways of entertaining themselves.  They (we) have learned new card games (Hearts, Rummy, Speed, Kings in the Corner, Up and Down the River, various forms of Solitaire, Chess, and Checkers).  These are fun ways of spending quality time together that I am grateful to see renewed in our lives.

I can also see how this time of sabbatical has benefited Fish Lake Lutheran Church - as expected.  They have G.R.O.W.n in many ways and have learned to appreciate and experience ministry in their midst with out me or my family present.  I have seen and heard about and read about many ways this has happened, and I am proud of them.  I will write more about this upon my return to ministry after Christmas, when I have the full summary and picture of what God has done in and through them during this time.  But I am thankful for, and proud of, the people of Fish Lake Lutheran Church, based on what I have already observed from a distance - and for Pastor Connie Warner's faithful and strong leadership.

And as we've stated from the beginning - this is "our" sabbatical.  We wanted to include you in on, and share this journey with, all of our friends, our family, and our congregation.  This blog, Skype and our individual facebook updates (and 500+ photos!) have made that possible.  We have cherished your emails and your comments on this blog and facebook that were always fun, informative and full of encouragement, affirmation and support.  We love and give thanks for all of you!

Now as we ready ourselves for our journey home to MN, I look forward to joining you on your journey - your Advent journey.

Needless to say, I am looking forward to a my "sabbath" Christmas this year - not leading, planning, preparing for worship - but only participating in, reflecting on and experiencing worship.  It will be new.  It will be different.  It will be good.  It will be Advent.  This has been an Advent unlike any other Advent I've ever experienced - as I say every year.  This is also true for you.  So reflect on the coming of the Christ Child in your life, in ways you never have before - because even though we "know the end of the story", the story affects us differently and anew each year.  I know this to be true for me and for my family, and I'm certain it's true for you as well.

So today, I leave you with my favorite Advent charge - a play on words of a common, yet urgent charge (Thank you, Pr. Carl Lee).

"Don't just do something.  Stand there."

Safari njema (a blessed journey),

Dale

No comments:

Post a Comment